- 1 lb Ontario veal cutlets or scaloppini (about 8 pieces)
- 12 asparagus spears, halved crosswise
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into 3-inch (7.5 cm) long spears
- 4 green onions, sliced in 3-inch (7.5 cm) lengths
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light spreadable cream cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped chives
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, fresh chopped thyme and tarragon
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
Arrange veal cutlets on a flat, clean surface with the narrow end facing you. Arrange assorted vegetables at the front of each piece of veal. Roll up and place seam side down on a parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Brush all over (vegetables too) with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the centre of the oven until the veal is cooked through and vegetables are tender crisp, about 8 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, bring chicken broth to boil over medium high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Let reduce slightly and whisk in chives, lemon zest, thyme and tarragon. Remove from heat. Serve over veal roll ups.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Tip: For easy entertaining, assemble the rolls up to one day ahead and keep them covered in the refrigerator until ready to bake. The sauce can also be made up to one day ahead and then warmed up in the microwave or in a small saucepan while baking the rolls (whisk to keep the sauce combined).
PER SERVING: about 180 cal, 18 g pro, 9 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 6 g carb, 2 g fibre, 50 mg chol, 370 mg sodium. %RDI: 10% iron, 8% calcium, 80% vit C, 30% vit A, 10% B12, 15% zinc.