- 1 boneless Ontario veal loin roast, about 2 lb/1 kg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) diced dried figs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) liquid honey
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Using sharp chef’s knife cut roast in half lengthwise almost all the way through and open like up like a book. Repeat on both sides of the roast. Using a meat mallet, pound roast to even out and flatten; set aside.
In small bowl, combine figs, pecans, parsley, garlic, mustard and pepper. Place mixture along centre of roast and roll up, jelly roll style. Tie roast with string to secure. Rub outside with oil and sprinkle with thyme and salt.
Turn grill to high heat. Then turn one side of grill to medium high and reduce heat of remaining side to low. Sear roast on medium high heat side on all sides. Place roast over low heat side of grill; close lid and grill, turning occasionally for about 1 1/2 hours or until hint of pink remains and juices run clear or meat thermometer registers 160°F (71°C). Remove to cutting board and tent with foil.
Onion Marmalade: Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium high heat and cook onions for about 8 minutes or until starting to become golden. Reduce heat to medium and stir in rosemary and thyme. Cook, stirring for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and soft. Add vinegar, honey and pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer, for about 8 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated.
Thinly slice roast and serve with onion marmalade.
Oven Roast Variation: Place stuffed roast on rack in small roasting pan and roast in 375°F (190°C) oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until hint of pink remains and juices run clear.
Tip: You can make the Onion Marmalade up to 2 days ahead, just cover and refrigerate. Let come to room temperature before using.
Per serving: About 298 cal, 20 g pro, 15 g total fat (4 g sat fat), 23 g carb, 2 g fibre, 77 mg chol, 118 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 9%, calcium 5%, vit A 0%, vit C 7%