- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) stewing Ontario veal
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped celery
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped leeks
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry red wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) veal or chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) turnip, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
In bowl or re-sealable bag, toss flour and half the salt and pepper with veal until completely coated.
In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown veal on all sides, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer veal to plate. Stir in onion, celery and leeks, cooking until vegetables are tender and starting to brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic, remaining salt and pepper, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary. Deglaze pan with wine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in broth and return veal to pan. Bring to simmer.
Cover and transfer to oven for one hour. Add carrots, parsnips and turnip, stirring to combine. Cover and return to oven until vegetables are tender and veal is fork tender, about 1 hour.
Serve with a green salad and crusty whole grain bread to soak up the yummy sauce.
Nutritional Information: Per serving: about 260 cal, 18 g pro, 7 g total fat (1.5 g sat fat) 23 g carb, 5 g fibre, 65 mg chol, 700 mg sodium, 1 mcg B12, 2 mg iron, 3 mg zinc. %RDI: iron 10%, calcium 8%, vit A 100%, vit C 45%, B12 18%, zinc 20%