- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- Half a small red onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz (250 g) ground Ontario veal
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) shredded light old cheddar cheese
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion for 3 minutes. Add veal, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and cayenne, breaking up with spoon over medium high heat for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
Stir in macaroni; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender and sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Tip: To reduce the heat in this dish you can omit the cayenne pepper.
Yield/Servings: 5 cups (1.25 L) 4 servings
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (ontariovealappeal.ca)