This twist on traditional stew serves up the vegetables alongside the delicately flavoured veal for a hearty winter meal.
- 2 lb (1kg) Ontario veal stewing cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL) chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each salt and fresh ground pepper, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes (about 1 lb/454 g), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups (500 mL) dry red wine
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 container (227 g) peeled red or white pearl onions
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) petite/gourmet mushrooms
- 8 oz (227 g) mini red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) veal or vegetable broth
- Chopped fresh parsley
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Serves/Yield: 6 to 8
Toss veal cubes with flour, 2 tsp (10 mL) of the thyme, 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
Heat oil in large shallow saucepan over medium high heat; brown veal in batches and remove to plate.
Cook onion, tomatoes, garlic, parsley and remaining thyme for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add red wine and bring to the boil, scraping up brown bits from pan. Stir in browned veal and any accumulated juice. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until veal is tender.
Meanwhile, heat butter in large deep nonstick skillet over medium heat and saute onions and mushrooms for about 8 minutes or until starting to become golden. Add potatoes, broth and remaining salt and pepper; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove veal pieces from sauce; keep warm. Strain and press sauce through sieve; and serve veal with vegetables and strained sauce.
Slow Cooker Variation: If making this in the slow cooker; add browned beef to slow cooker and reduce wine to 1 cup (250 mL) and add 1/2 cup (125 mL) veal or vegetable broth with remaining ingredients to slow cooker.
You can change up what you serve up with this veal dish. Try mashed potatoes or rice instead of the potato, mushroom and onion mixture.
Suggested pairing: Jackson-Triggs Black Series Meritage VQA Cabernet/Merlot
Per serving (based on 8 servings): About 316 cal, 26 g pro, 11 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 17 g carb, 2 g fibre, 103 mg chol, 234 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 13%, calcium 5%, vit A, 3% vit C 10%
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (ontariovealappeal.ca)