Made with lean Ontario veal, this unique twist on meatloaf combines omega-3 rich walnuts, nutrient packed salba and vitamin and mineral dense mushrooms with herbs, garlic and onions. Serve with squash purée and steamed green beans for a simple and healthy supper.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) salba or flax seeds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each, finely chopped fresh dill and parsley
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground Ontario veal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until onions are softened, golden and no liquid remains, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute. Remove from heat and transfer to large bowl.
Stir in salt, pepper, salba, walnuts, dill and parsley. Let cool completely.
Stir in veal and egg, mixing thoroughly but gently until well combined.
Transfer to lightly greased muffin tins. Mound into 6 cups. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake in centre of oven until cooked through, about 45 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Serve with squash purée and steamed green beans.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional Information: Per 1 loaf serving: about 220 cal, 19 g pro, 14 g total fat (3.5 g sat fat), 6 g carb, 2 g fibre, 100 mg chol, 310 mg sodium, 1 mcg B12, 2 mg iron, 3 mg zinc. %RDI: iron 8%, calcium 8%, vit A 6%, vit C 10%, B12 16%, zinc 17%