- 4-5 lb (2-2.5 kg) veal rib roast or veal loin roast (bone-in)
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pine nuts
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lbs (1 kg) baby red potatoes, scrubbed and pierced
- 1 lb (500 g) asparagus
Cut tiny slits all over veal; insert garlic slivers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place roast, fat side up, on rack in roasting pan. Roast in 325°F (160°C) oven for 30 minutes.
Pesto: Meanwhile, in food processor, finely chop basil, Parmesan and pine nuts. With motor running, gradually add oil through feed tube until thick paste forms. Transfer to bowl; stir in garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread half of pesto over veal. In large bowl, toss potatoes and carrots with remaining pesto. Add to pan and roast for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until meat thermometer registers 150°F (65°C) for medium-rare doneness. Transfer to cutting board; tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes before carving. Remove rack from pan and add asparagus to pan; increase oven to 400°F (200°C) and roast vegetables for about 10 minutes or until asparagus is tender crisp. Serve vegetables with sliced veal.
Helpful Tips: To save time, purchase ready-made pesto. Be sure to check the ingredient list and make sure there is fresh basil high in the ingredient list for the best flavour.