- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dried Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 lb (454 g) veal scallopini cutlets
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil (approx)
- 1 batch Homemade Tomato Sauce
In a shallow bowl, combine flour and half each of the salt and pepper.
In another shallow bowl, whisk egg with 3 tbsp (50 mL) of water.
In a third shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the cheese, oregano, and remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining salt and pepper over veal. Dredge each cutlet in flour, then into egg, letting excess drip off. Coat evenly with breadcrumb mixture. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)
In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook cutlets, in batches, and turning once for about 3 minutes or until light golden, adding more oil if necessary.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Ladle some of the tomato sauce into a large shallow baking dish. Top with cutlets, overlapping slightly. Ladle more of the sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese; cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and veal is no longer pink inside and very tender.
Makes 4 servings.
Courtesy of Emily Richards, from her book Per La Famiglia: Memories and Recipes of Southern Italian Home Cooking