- 1 lb veal cubes
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Butter and olive oil to cook with
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms of your choice, I like a combination of crimini and white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cognac or white wine
- 8 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup 35% cooking cream
- 1 lb egg tagliatelle, cooked according to package instructions
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
Fill a shallow bowl with flour, season with salt and pepper. Dredge veal cubes and set aside.
In a low Dutch oven or pot, warm a combination of 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter. Sear veal cubes until browned on each side. Remove from pan and transfer to a dish.
In the same pot, add butter and olive oil and sauté onions and mushrooms for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add in garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Deglaze pan with cognac and cook for 2-3 minutes.
IMPORTANT: Whenever you are deglazing with alcohol, turn off the heat and add in alcohol. Allow the alcohol to cook out, then put heat back on again. It is always advisable to stand back when turning the heat back on.
Add vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and add veal back in. Cover partially with a lid and allow it to cook for 90 minutes. Remove lid. The sauce should be reduced to a thicker consistency. If not, cook on high to get right thickness.
Taste sauce for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. Add in parsley and cream and cook for an additional 2 minutes
On medium heat, toss pasta with sauce. Plate with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Source: Vanessa Gianfrancesco (Cooking with V)