- 10 oz (300 g) Ontario veal striploin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) North American seasoning or steak spice blend
- 2 English cucumbers
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Spanish onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander, divided
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) minced garlic
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare striploin: Preheat grill or barbeque and season striploin with North American seasoning or desired steak spice blend. Sear over high heat, turning once, for approximately 30 seconds per side for rare. Cover striploin with foil and allow to cool in refrigerator for at least one hour. Once cool, dice into 1/4 inch (5 mm) cubes and set aside.
Make cucumber cups: Slice cucumber into 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick rounds. Using a melon baller, scoop centres out of rounds to form cups. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Make salsa: In large bowl combine tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, 1 tbsp (15 mL) coriander, garlic, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In large bowl, combine cubed steak, 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the salsa mix and the remaining coriander and mix until well combined.
Arrange cups on a platter and top with approximately 1 tsp (5 mL) of the veal salsa mixture. Serve immediately.
Makes approximately 4 cups (1 L) of salsa and 30 canapes.