Take advantage of the leanness of veal by making this lightened up version of a classic. It makes a great main course salad on a warm night. The flavours are bright and fresh – you won’t miss the fat.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dijon mustard
- 1 lb (500 g) veal cutlets
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 12 cups (3 L) torn romaine lettuce
- Lemon wedges
In bowl, combine lemon rind and juice, garlic and mustard. Pour 2 tbsp (30 mL) over veal in a shallow dish. Set remaining lemon mixture aside.
Grill veal over medium heat, turning once, for about 5 minutes or until desired doneness. Transfer to cutting board and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, whisk Parmesan, mayonnaise and oil into reserved lemon mixture to make dressing. Toss with lettuce until coated. Divide among four serving plates.
Cut veal into strips; arrange on top of salad. Sprinkle with croutons and serve with lemon wedges.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 287 Calories; 28.4 g Protein, 6.5 g Fat, 15.4 g Carbohydrates