- 1 lb (454g) Ontario veal tenderloin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper, divided
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tart apple, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each fresh thyme, rosemary
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) good quality balsamic vinegar
Pat veal dry. Slice crosswise into 8 pieces, flatten slightly and sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper.
In large non-stick skillet, heat butter over medium high heat. Brown veal medallions on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
Add onions to pan. Cook until tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes, lowering heat if necessary. Add garlic and apples and cook just until apples start to brown, about 3 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper, thyme and rosemary. Stir in chicken broth and vinegar. Nestle veal into sauce and cook until veal is desired doneness, about 5 minutes. Serve sauce over veal.
Per serving (1/4 of recipe): about 240 cal, 25g pro, 7g total fat (3g sat fat), 13g carb, 2g fibre, 100mg chol, 750mg sodium. %RDI: iron 8%, calcium 4%, vit A 4%, vit C 10%