- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Veal cutlets, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 cup (250 mL) low sodium diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fat free sour cream
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped parsley
Sprinkle veal with pepper. In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oil over medium high heat and brown veal on both sides. Remove to plate.
Add remaining oil to skillet and cook onions for about 8 minutes or until tender and golden. Add green pepper, mushrooms and paprika, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are golden and peppers are tender. Stir in tomatoes and browned veal with any accumulated juices and cook for about 3 minutes or until just a hint of pink remains in the veal. Stir in sour cream and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving
Chef’s Tip: Smoked paprika, which has a deeper flavour profile than the regular variety, can be found hot or sweet in most grocery stores today. Either will work in the recipe and which you use will depend on your taste. A mix of each (2 tsp/10 ml), works beautifully to bring out the sweet heat of the paprika.