- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (454 g) ground Ontario veal
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped green olives
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) beef broth
- 2 pre-rolled pastry dough
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarse salt
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat; cook veal over medium high heat, breaking it up with the back of a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in onions and cook until they are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in olives, egg, tomato paste and beef broth until well combined. Let cool completely.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Cut pastry in quarters. Divide filling over pastry. Fold over and crimp edges with a fork. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. In small bowl, whisk together egg with water. Brush over each empanada and sprinkle with salt.
Bake in the center of the oven until pastry is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Makes 8 empanadas.
Per 2 empanadas: about 290 cal, 26g pro, 15g total fat (5g sat fat), 11g carb, 2g fibre, 145mg chol, 400 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 10%, calcium 4%, vit A 45%, vit C 25%
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (ontariovealappeal.ca)