- 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500g) ground veal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stocks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tomato paste
- ½ cup (120 mL) white wine
- 1-28oz (30 mL) can San Marzano tomatoes
- 500 mL (approx. 2 cups) vegetable stock
- ¼ cup (60 mL) parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup (240 mL) frozen peas
- ½ cup (120 mL) 35% cooking cream
- Parmigiano Reggiano to garnish
In large Dutch oven, warm olive oil on medium-high heat and add in ground veal. Season with salt and pepper. Allow it to cook at least 2-3 minutes to get a golden crust. Begin to crumble the meat using a wooden spoon. Add in fennel seeds.
Add in onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in tomato paste and stir to coat all the meat and veggies.
Deglaze the pan with white wine and allow the wine to reduce to half.
Add San Marzano tomatoes, vegetable stock and parsley. Partially cover the pot with lid and allow it to simmer 20 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally to ensure that it is not sticking.
While sauce simmers, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in ziti and cook according to package instructions. Strain and reserve in pot.
Remove lid from sauce, add in peas and cream. Check for seasoning. Cook for 5 additional minutes, then combine half the sauce to the pasta. Plate pasta then top with additional sauce and Parmigiano Reggiano.
Source: Chef Vanessa Gianfrancesco (Cooking with V)