- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground Veal
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried mint (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each cinnamon and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
- 4 small pita breads
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced cucumber
In a large skillet, cook veal over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink and beginning to brown; drain off any fat. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, oregano, mint (if using), salt, cinnamon and pepper, cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until onion is very soft. Stir in lemon juice.
Meanwhile, cut top 1/3 off of each pita and place inside bottom of pita. Line pita with lettuce leaves; spoon in half of the yogurt. Add veal filling and top with remaining yogurt, tomatoes and cucumber.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 388 Calories, 30.6 g Protein, 9.1 g Fat, 45.0 g Carbohydrates