- 1 28 oz (796 mL) can tomatoes with their juice
- 1/4 English cucumber, seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vodka
- 6 oz (175 g) Ontario veal tenderloin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) European seasoning (or combination of olive oil, sea salt, cracked pepper and herbes de Provence)
- 1 loaf thinly sliced egg bread or brioche
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 oz (60 mL) shot glasses for serving
In blender or food processor, blend together tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, jalapeno, vinegar, salt, oil and vodka until smooth and well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat grill to high. Season veal with European seasoning and grill, turning once, until medium rare, approximately 2 minutes per side. Tent with foil and let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Slice very thinly against the grain and set aside. Meanwhile, toast bread.
To serve, ladle gazpacho into chilled shot glasses. Layer 1 veal slice on top of each piece of toasted bread and top with 1 tsp (5 mL) créme fraiche. Place crostini on top of gazpacho shot and serve immediately.
Makes 10 to 12 shots.