Veal adds a new twist to everyday stew. You can also try more exotic vegetables for new flavour sensations.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 lbs (1.25 kg) stewing veal, cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) ready-to-serve chicken broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme
- 1 lb (500 g) baby carrots
- 1 lb (500 g) small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 80 minutes
In bowl or plastic bag combine flour with salt and pepper. Add veal and toss to coat. In large pot, heat half the oil over medium heat until hot. Add half the veal and brown evenly, stirring occasionally. Remove veal. Repeat with remaining veal and oil. In same pan, add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and thyme. Return veal to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes. Cover and continue cooking 30 minutes or until tender. Stir in peas and heat through. Serve with sliced French stick.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information: 359 Calories * 31 g Protein * 11 g Fat * 34 g Carbohydrate