Hearty and delicious this veal stew takes just a few minutes of active time. Once you’ve got it cooking, set it and forget it for 9 hours. You’ll arrive home to a house filled with the savoury smells of tender veal stew.
- 2 lb (1 kg) Ontario veal stewing cubes
- 2 cups (500 mL) carrot slices, about ½-inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1 can (14.5 fl oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas, thawed
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours 40 minutes
In a 5-quart slow cooker combine veal, carrots, onion and garlic. Sprinkle in flour and toss to coat. Stir in stock, rosemary, thyme and diced tomatoes. Set temperature to low setting and cook for 8 hours.
Uncover and stir in peas, increase cook setting to high. Cook for another 30 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread and a side salad.
Nutritional Information: Calories per serving: 413, Fat 7g, Cholesterol 95mg, Sodium 477mg, Carbohydrates 36g, Fibre 4g, Sugar 1g, Protein 30g
One serving contains 24% of the %DV of Vitamin C.
One serving contains 10% of the %DV of Iron.
Cook’s Note: Ask your local butcher to cut Ontario veal stewing cubes from the leg or shoulder if you cannot find them in your grocery store.