Stuffed with ham and cheese and coated with an almond, Parmesan and lemon mixture, this delicious Ontario Veal chop recipe is perfect for an elegant party for two.
- 2 X 10 -12-ounce (280-300 g) Ontario Veal chops
- 2 slices (2 oz/ 60 g) Black Forest ham
- 4 slices (4 oz / 120 g) Gruyere or other swiss cheese
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cracked black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) ground almonds
- ½ cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan
- ½ cup (125 ml) breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili flakes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon zest
- ½ cup (125 ml) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
Pre-heat oven to 350 F (177 C)
Using a sharp pointy knife, make an incision on the side of the veal chop and create a ‘pouch’. Using 1 slice of ham and 2 slices of cheese roll the cheese in the ham and stuff in the ‘pouch’ of the veal chop.
Season the veal chop with salt and pepper.
Combine the eggs and milk and whisk to smooth to create an egg wash. Combine the almonds, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, chili and lemon zest to make the almond crust.
Dredge each chop in the flour, then the egg wash, and then the almond crust and lightly press to ensure the almond crust sticks to the veal.
Melt the butter and olive oil and when the butter is frothy, add the veal chop and continue cooking for 5 minutes over medium heat or until golden brown.
Flip the veal over and place in the preheated oven. Continue cooking for 12-18 minutes or until the veal is cooked to your preference.
Remove from the oven and allow to “rest” for 5 minutes.