Served warm, this veal scaloppini salad combines both sweet and savoury flavours. Fennel, radicchio, mache, almonds and orange segments are dressed with a simple maple Dijon vinaigrette creating the perfect lunch or light dinner. Served on a warm Ontario veal scaloppini, this innovative and nutritious salad bursts with flavour.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) minced shallots
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and fresh ground pepper, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) orange juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced fennel
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) torn radicchio
- 4 pieces Ontario veal scaloppini (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 cups (500 mL) mache or boston lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orange segments
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) toasted sliced almonds
In bowl, whisk together shallots, half of the salt and pepper, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, white wine vinegar and orange juice. Whisk in olive oil in a steady stream until well combined.
In large bowl, toss fennel, celery and radicchio with half of the dressing. Set aside.
In separate shallow bowl, pour remaining dressing over veal. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown veal on both sides until golden and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
Arrange veal over 4 plates. Top with mache. Spoon fennel mixture over top and sprinkle with orange segments and almonds.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information: Per serving: about 320 cal, 25 g pro, 14 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 13 g carb, 2 g fibre, 95 mg chol, 470 mg sodium, 2 mcg B12, 2 mg iron, 4 mg zinc. %RDI: iron 10%, calcium 8%, vit C 45%, vit A15%, B12 26%, zinc 28%