Using some of my favourite ingredients and creating a delicious, meaty and gooey grilled cheese sandwich is a surefire way to win over some new friends. They might even ask for seconds!
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) each seasoned breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 6 Ontario veal scaloppini (approx 500 g/ 1 lb)
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) canola oil (approx, divided)
- 1 cup (250 mL) marinara or pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pickled mixed vegetables
- 6 panini rolls, cut in half lengthwise
- 18 medallion slices bocconcini
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded smoked gouda cheese
Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in 1 shallow dish. Place flour in another shallow dish with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
Whisk eggs in a third shallow dish with remaining salt and pepper.
Coat veal in flour, then egg mixture letting excess drip off. Dredge veal in breadcrumb mixture and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining veal.
Heat 4 tbsp (60 mL) of the oil in large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Cook veal in batches, adding more oil if necessary until golden brown on both sides. Set veal aside.
Meanwhile, heat marinara sauce and pickled vegetables in a small saucepan just until simmering.
Spread a bit of the sauce on both insides of the bun. Top bottom bun with 3 bocconcini medallions and veal. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the gouda on top. Cover with top bun and place in panini press. Cook for about 4 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Makes 6 sandwiches.
Tip: If you do not have a panini press, place sandwiches in a nonstick skillet and use another pan or pot lid to press down on the buns to cook.
Recipe courtesy of Emily Richards.