Guaranteed to wow at your next cocktail party, these colourful canapés are substantial without being heavy.
- 1 lb (454 g) veal scaloppini
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Flour for dredging (around 1 cup/250 mL)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) halved Zima tomatoes, or similar small tomato (teardrop, grape)
- 2 cups (500 mL) roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) chopped capers
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) oregano
- 40 crostini
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 40 canapés
With the flat side of a meat mallet, pound the veal to a uniform thickness. Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge the veal in flour and set aside, shaking off any excess flour.
Heat half the olive oil 2 tbsp (30 mL) in large skillet to medium high and cook the veal, about 1 minute per side.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
In the same pan, add remaining olive oil, tomatoes, peppers, capers, garlic and oregano and sauté until hot and glistening.
Remove tomato mixture from pan and reserve in heat-proof bowl.
Cut each piece of veal into ten rectangles, keeping in mind the size of your crostini. Top each crostini with a piece of veal and spoon tomato mixture on top. If desired, garnish with basil.
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (www.ontariovealappeal.ca)