Veal cutlets are stuffed with sweet potato and breadcrumbs and topped with a simple cranberry pan sauce.
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cups (1 L) low sodium chicken stock, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cubed day old bread
- 4 Ontario veal cutlets
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) rubbed sage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 lb (250 g) steamed green beans
- Salt and pepper
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In a microwave safe bowl combine sweet potato, apple, thyme and 1 cup chicken stock. Microwave covered on HIGH for 4-5 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Once tender, remove thyme sprigs and stir in 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar until melted. Fold in bread; set aside.
Place veal cutlets between plastic wrap and pound until an even ¼-inch thickness. Spoon stuffing down the center of the veal cutlet and roll up. Secure veal roll ups with 2-3 pieces of string. Season the outside of the veal roll ups.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add veal and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to the oven in an oven safe dish.
Stir in ½ cup chicken stock to deglaze the skillet. Stir in remaining stock, cranberries, remaining brown sugar, sage and rosemary. Cook uncovered over high heat until reduced and thickened. Stir in butter one cube at a time, and season pan sauce with salt and pepper.
Remove string from veal and slice. To serve divide green beans between plates, top with veal and a spoonful of cranberry pan sauce.
Nutritional Information: Calories per serving 346, Fat 10g, Cholesterol 64mg, Sodium 556mg, Carbohydrates 23g, Fibre 3.2g, Sugar 10g, Protein 12g
One serving contains 15% of the %DV of Vitamin B12.
One serving contains 11% of the %DV of Iron.