A fun recipe that really highlights the versatility of veal. Substitute cooked quinoa instead of breadcrumbs for a protein packed, gluten free option!
- 1 lb (.45 kg) veal scallopini
- 3.5 oz (100 g) thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) grated Asiago cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian Seasoning (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) plus 1 tbsp (15 mL) for searing, extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground black pepper
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
In a large mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs, garlic, cheese, olive oil and herbs.
Tenderize veal scallopini with mallet. Season meat with salt and pepper.
Divide breadcrumb mixture between the veal pieces and spread evenly over the meat.
Roll up veal into a prosciutto slice. You may need two slices to cover.
Heat a large non stick pan to medium and add olive oil.
Sear roulades lightly on all sides, about 30 seconds per side.
Finish cooking in 350F (180C) oven. About 7 minutes, depending on thickness.
Serve with a tossed arugula salad or steamed rapini.