- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario veal scaloppini or cutlets
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) spaghetti or tomato sauce
- pinch each, dried thyme and cayenne
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated mozzarella cheese
Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Using a meat mallet, pound veal slices between two pieces of plastic wrap to flatten. Coat veal slices in seasoned flour; then beaten egg; then bread crumbs/Parmesan mixture.
In a non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, heat oil. Add veal, sauté veal slices 3 to 4 minutes per side, until browned and veal is cooked through. Do not overcook. Remove to serving dish to keep warm. Repeat with remaining slices of veal. Add tomato sauce to skillet with thyme and cayenne and heat to boiling. Simmer 5 minutes and serve over veal slices, sprinkling tops with mozzarella cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Information: 403 Calories, 34 grams Protein, 17 grams Fat, 25 grams Carbohydrate
Tip: Ontario veal on a bun is a tasty alternative. Grill your favourite mix of vegetables and season to taste. Layer vegetables and veal parmigiana on a fresh bakery bun and enjoy!