The summery flavours of mint, rum and fresh fruit marry in this stunning plated salad featuring Ontario veal. Ideal for a starter or light entrée, this salad is perfect with a light Pinot Grigio and a loaf of crusty French bread.
- 8 oz (250 g) Ontario veal inside round
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cantaloupe, diced into 1/4 inch (5 mm) cubes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) honeydew, diced into 1/4 inch (5 mm) cubes
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) diced English cucumber
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) grilled and diced red onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped mint
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white rum
- 8 wooden skewers 8
Using a meat mallet, pound veal until 1/4 inch (5 mm) thickness and slice into 8 even strips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In bowl, combine wine, vinegar, oil, garlic, mint, black pepper and Dijon. Add veal to marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Prepare salad: In large bowl, combine cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumber, onion, mint and rum. Allow to stand at room temperature for at least half an hour to allow flavours to blend. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in warm water while salad is marinating.
Prepare brochettes: Heat grill or barbeque to medium-high. Remove veal strips from marinade and thread onto skewers using one strip per skewer. Grill over medium-high heat until medium doneness, approximately one minute per side.
To serve, arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each plate and top with 1/4 cup (50 mL) spring mix and 1/4 cup (50 mL) fruit salad. Arrange 2 skewers on top of salad and garnish with a quartered strawberry. Serve immediately.