Classic flavours of lasagna made with ground veal makes for a delicious family-friendly meal.
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb (500 g) lean Ontario ground veal
- 3 cups (750 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) each dried basil and oregano
- 1 jar (700 mL) prepared pasta sauce
- 1 can (156 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg (300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (500 mL) smooth ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
Veal Filling: In a large pot, brown veal or high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and add mushrooms, garlic, onion, green pepper, basil and oregano. Cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until mushrooms are beginning to brown. Add pasta sauce, tomato paste and water; reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cheese Filling: In colander, squeeze moisture out of thawed spinach; wrap in strong paper towel and squeeze again until dry. In bowl, whisk eggs; blend in spinach, ricotta cheese, Provolone and pepper.
To assemble spread a thin layer of veal filling in bottom of greased 13×9 inch (3 L) glass baking dish. Place three noodles lengthwise in dish, trimming to fit as necessary. Spread with one-third of the remaining veal filling; top with three noodles. Spread with cheese filling and top with three more noodles. Spread with half the remaining veal filling and top with remaining noodles. Spread with remaining veal filling and sprinkle with Provolone and Parmesan cheeses. Cover with foil; bake in 375 F (190 C) oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until bubbling and golden on top. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (ontariovealappeal.ca)