Leeks, leafy greens, tomatoes, white beans and ground veal pack a nutrient punch in this simple soup. This Veal and White Bean Soup can be made in advance and reheated before serving. Add a whole grain roll and a piece of fruit for a quick, healthy, energy sustaining meal.
- 1-1/2 lbs (750 g) ground Ontario veal
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chopped Swiss Chard, kale or spinach
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced, canned low sodium tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) rinsed and drained, canned white beans
In large saucepan, cook ground veal with salt and pepper over medium high heat, breaking into small pieces until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Add leeks and cook until leeks are tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in rosemary and bay leaves. Pour in chicken broth and bring to boil. Add in Chard and reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and beans and heat through, approximately 5 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Chef’s Tip: Serve garnished with shaved Parmesan and lemon zest.
PER SERVING: about 230 cal, 31 g pro, 4 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 15 g carb, 3 g fibre, 100 mg chol, 560 mg sodium. %RDI: 20% iron, 6% calcium, 40% vit C, 60% vit A, 27% B12, 29% zinc.