This hearty but healthy Mexican-inspired soup featuring lean ground Ontario veal makes a quick and easy weeknight meal the whole family will love.
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 lb (454 g) ground Ontario veal
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canned chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 6 cups (1.5L) chicken broth
- 1 can (19 oz/ 561 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn kernels
- Garnishes: sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges
In large saucepan, cook bacon over medium high heat until crisp and most of the fat has rendered out. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and drain all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the fat. Cook the veal, salt and pepper breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion, celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and chipotle and cook one minute more. Pour in broth, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes and bring to simmer over medium low heat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in corn and reserved bacon and cook 5 minutes more.
Serve in warmed soup bowls topped with sour cream and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving (without garnishes): about 180 cal, 17g pro, 6g total fat (2g sat fat), 12g carb, 2g fibre, 55mg chol, 610mg sodium. %RDI: iron 8%, calcium 4%, vit A 6%, vit C 25%