Moist grilled veal burgers bursting with sunny flavours of the Mediterranean are sure to dress up any summer grill menu. Serve with roasted potato wedges and a crisp salad. Serve with mayonnaise or aioli on the side.
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped soaked sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil pesto
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 g) lean ground veal
- 1/4 cup 950 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats or bread crumbs
- 6 oz (175 g) Provolone cheese, sliced
- 4 Calabrese buns, halves
- 2 sweet red peppers, roasted and peeled
- 8 fresh basil leaves
Whisk together egg, sundried tomoato, basil pesto, salty and pepper. With fork, mix in veal and oats and roll just until combined. Do not over mix. Shape into four 3/4 inch (2 cm) patties. Grill uncovered for abut 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside, turning once. Place cheese on top, cover and grill until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, toast or grill buns. Place cooked patties on bottoms of buns; top each half with a roasted pepper and 2 basil leaves. Perch top of buns on burger.
Makes 4 servings