Juicy and thick veal chops are filled with a flavourful Greek inspired filling. Be sure to spoon juices over veal when serving to add additional flavour to the dish. Greek style lemon potatoes would be a perfect side dish to serve alongside with a crunchy vegetable salad.
- 1 container (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried oregano, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario goat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and fresh ground pepper, divided
- 4 frenched Ontario veal rib or loin chops, 1 1/2 inch (7.5 cm) thick (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 1 cup (250 mL) veal or vegetable broth
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Wilt spinach in large skillet; drain well and chop.
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in skillet over medium heat and cook onions, garlic, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the parsley and 1 tsp (5 mL) of the oregano for 2 minutes. Stir in chopped spinach to combine. Remove from heat and stir in feta, breadcrumbs, lemon zest and half each of the salt and pepper; let cool slightly.
Using a sharp knife, cut a slit in meaty part of veal chop almost all the way through to create a pocket. Push stuffing into each chop to fill. Combine remaining parsley, oregano, salt and pepper and sprinkle all over chops.
Heat remaining oil in ovenproof skillet and brown chops on both sides. Add broth and roast in preheated 400 F (200 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until chops have a hint of pink inside. Let stand 5 minutes before serving with pan juices.
Tip: Get your grill on, by taking these stuffed chops to the grill. Simply omit the broth in the recipe and enjoy as is.
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (ontariovealappeal.ca)