The deep mahogany colour on these Ontario veal chops comes from the sweet intense flavour of the aged balsamic vinegar. Look for aged balsamic vinegars in grocery or specialty foods stores. They have a deep colour and are more syrupy when they move in the bottle.
- 4 Ontario veal chops, 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick (about 1 3/4 lb/875 g total)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh sage
- Pinch sea or kosher salt
- 2 firm but ripe bartlett or bosc pears, cored and quartered
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each chopped fresh mint and parsley
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Pear Salsa: Brush pears with oil and place on greased grill over medium heat and grill, turning twice for about 12 minutes. Remove to cutting board and let cool slightly. Dice pear and place in bowl, Stir in garlic, vinegar, mint and parsley; set aside.
Brush veal chops with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle both sides with sage and pepper. Place on greased grill over medium high heat and grill for about 4 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Sprinkle with salt.
Serve each chop topped with pear salsa.
Tip: You can make the pear salsa up to 1 day ahead.
Yield/Servings: salsa about 2 cups (500 mL) 4 servings
Per serving: About 435 cal, 36 g pro, 27 g total fat (11 g sat fat), 10 g carb, 2 g fibre, 131 mg chol, 167 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 21%, calcium 29%, vit A 0%, vit C 6%, folate 11%
Source: Ontario Veal Appeal (ontariovealappeal.ca)